Top 10 Pros and Cons of Platform Beds
It is convenient to sleep or take rest on a bed that is a little bit high from the ground. A platform bed has reconciled the need of a raised platform for taking rest or having a good night’s sleep.
A platform bed is used to support both your mattress and your body on it so that you can have a restful night’s sleep. Besides, it is a boon for those who have back or knee pain. It is fairly easy to get in and out of bed.
However, there is nothing in the earth under the sun that has only advantages. Everything has two respective sides- pros and cons. But the proportion may vary depending on a product’s construction, materials and so forth. In the same way, platform beds also have advantages and disadvantages side by side.
Anyways, I am here today to make a list and then discuss one by one of a platform bed’s good and bad sides. Nowadays, almost every family uses a platform bed as it is modern, aesthetic in design and saves much space in the bedroom.
Let me make a list of top 10 pros and cons of platform beds and then elaborate them one by one making few short paragraphs.
Table of Contents
- 0.0.1 List of pros I am going to describe:
- 0.0.2 1. Sufficient Under Storage Space
- 0.0.3 2. Welcomes and Support Memory Foam
- 0.0.4 3. Eliminates the need for a box spring
- 0.0.5 4. Available styles to choose from
- 0.0.6 5. Good air ventilation for the betterment of the mattress
- 0.0.7 6. Proper supports for the mattress and sleepers
- 0.0.8 7. Options to install headboard and footboard
- 0.0.9 8. Aesthetic Look
- 0.0.10 9. Additional Features
- 0.0.11 10. Easy to assemble
- 1 1. High Price
- 1.0.1 2. Uncomfortable for people having knee and back pain
- 1.0.2 3. Difficult to move around
- 1.0.3 4. Getting up from bed requires extra effort
- 1.0.4 5. Harmful for the side sleepers
- 1.0.5 6. Lower to the ground
- 1.0.6 7. Wheel of the under-bed drawer stuck
- 1.0.7 8. Any mattress is not supportive
- 1.0.8 9. Mess under the bed may not hide
- 1.0.9 10. Difficult to lift the corners of the mattress
- 1.0.10 Conclusion
List of pros I am going to describe:
- Sufficient Under Storage Space
- Welcomes and Support Memory Foam
- Eliminates the need for a box spring
- Available styles to choose from
- Good air ventilation for the betterment of the mattress
- Proper support for the mattress and sleepers
- Options to install headboard and footboard
- Aesthetic Look
- Additional Features
- Easy to assemble
These are the benefits of having a platform bed I have found, and of course, they are worth praising. However, as the lists of benefits are completed, let me discuss briefly them one by one.
Our best findings for you
- Classic styling and strong wood slat support with less than 3 inches of slat...
- Soft, button tufted dark grey upholstery. Fabric: Knitted Polyester
- All parts for making the bed are located in the zippered compartment on the back...
- Foam padded tape is added to the steel frame for noise-free use
- Available in Twin, Full, Queen, and King with worry-free 5 year limited warranty
Last update on 2019-04-26 at 11:05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
1. Sufficient Under Storage Space
A bedroom having enough space looks beautiful. Otherwise, if your bedroom is small and does not have enormous space, a platform bed should be an excellent choice for you.
You can store your season old clothes underneath the bed. Some platform beds have under storage drawers which are easy to pull out as they have wheels. These drawers can be used to store your necessities.
2. Welcomes and Support Memory Foam
You can place any mattress on your platform bed whether it is innerspring or memory foam. But memory foam mattress is perfect among others for a platform bed.
Because of its sturdy surface, memory foam gets more support that is needed to increase your mattress’ life. Besides, having an even slats distance, your mattress can breathe well. As a result, the longevity of your mattress rises also.
3. Eliminates the need for a box spring
As you know a platform bed performs as the raised surface of a mattress and its dwellers; there is no need of using a box spring for extra support. You can consider it the elimination of your box spring and obviously, it saves your hard-earned money too.
It is seen that a box spring is being used due to having an extra height of their bed. But, according to me, it is avoidable and a waste of your money.
4. Available styles to choose from
There are a lot of styles of platform beds out there in the market, and new designs are coming in future to keep pace with the modern world and consumers’ need.
Choose a platform bed for your bedroom wisely depending on your bedroom’s theme and space. This is the crucial part, I think, before purchasing one for you because after buying one, it is difficult and time-consuming to replace.
5. Good air ventilation for the betterment of the mattress
A mattress’ life depends on a few aspects.
Among them are air circulation, the surface of the foundation, construction materials of the foundation and so forth.
Proper air ventilation increases your mattress’ life. A platform bed ensures the proper air circulation having distance among slats.
And, you know that a mattress is the costly item of your bed. So, consider the aspects that will increase your mattress’ life instead of damaging it entirely.
6. Proper supports for the mattress and sleepers
When we go for sleeping after completing our daily activities, a bed with needed support is needed for a restful night’s sleep. Perfect support for both you and your mattress equally need to enjoy a good night’s sleep.
Platform beds are especially low-profile beds that can provide accurate support for both the mattress and its dwellers on it. Construction of a platform bed also helps you feel comfortable with it while sleeping throughout the whole night.
7. Options to install headboard and footboard
Platform beds are versatile. They are ready to fit a headboard or footboard but depend on your need.
If you have the habit of reading books leaning against the headboard of your bed, it should be a welcoming option for you to install one. Many people like to watch TV before sleeping. If you are one of them, a headboard is also needed for you.
8. Aesthetic Look
People of modern age do not only find steadiness, supportiveness but elegant and aesthetic looking also.
It adds an aesthetic look to your bedroom. Platform bed has a contemporary design to adjust to your bedroom’s color and theme. As you don’t need any bed skirts for a platform bed, it looks well and keeps your bedroom updated to the modern world.
9. Additional Features
Platform bed has additional features to adjust your need. You can select from contemporary, traditional and modern traditional platform bed considering your bedroom’s space, color and theme.
10. Easy to assemble
Everything that needs to install a platform bed comes along with the shipping box. A well-described written or pictorial diagram also comes with the shipping box so that you can do it effortlessly.
One of the most important and convenient advantages of a platform bed is its easy-to-install function. Within a few minutes, one can do the entire assembly oneself or taking other’s help.
New platform bed for you in 2019
|Zinus Deluxe Mid-Century Wood Platform Bed with Adjustable height...||14 Reviews||Check Price on Amazon|
Last update on 2019-04-26 at 14:23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
- High Price
- Uncomfortable for people having knee and back pain
- Difficult to move around
- Getting up from bed requires extra effort
- Harmful for the side sleepers
- Lower to the ground
- Wheel of the under-bed drawer stuck
- Any mattress is not supportive
- Mess under the bed may not hide
- Difficult to lift the corners of the mattress
These are the drawbacks of a platform bed I have found. Without making you late, let’s start discussing them shortly one after another.
1. High Price
This is the main disadvantage of a platform bed according to me. If you go for a low-price platform bed in the market, you will find some issue after using for a few months.
Besides, it may ruin your satisfaction of sleep at night. So, it is wise to invest a little bit more to purchase a good platform bed that can satisfy you. Without perfect support, you will lose your costly mattress too.
2. Uncomfortable for people having knee and back pain
Platform beds usually are low-profile bed as you know. So, getting in and out of bed is somewhat tricky for the people who have knee and back pain. It needs extra effort to get up from the bed.
But aside table beside the bed will do the work for them. It will help them to stand up holding it. So, people having back and knee pain can still use a platform bed but considering a few inconvenient.
3. Difficult to move around
As it is a low-profile, massive bed, it is almost painful to move around. So, it will be a better option for you to install the platform bed at such a place of your bedroom you will not be needed to move it from there.
After full assembly, it acts as one piece of bed and thus becomes heavy for you to move around in the bedroom.
4. Getting up from bed requires extra effort
Being a low-profile bed and lower to the ground, it is difficult to get up from the bed easily. Older people find it more difficult than others. As many older people have a health issue, they find it difficult to get up from this type of bed.
5. Harmful for the side sleepers
Those who sleep on their sides may find a platform bed harmful. After getting up from the bed, they may feel pain in their body because of its firmness.
So, it is better to sleep on back while using a low-profile platform bed. To get rid of this inconvenient, you can use a box spring to make its height a little bit more.
6. Lower to the ground
A platform bed is lower to the ground, and thus you need extra effort to get in and out of bed. Besides, making this bed before sleep time is also tedious to many.
7. Wheel of the under-bed drawer stuck
Wheels of the drawers may sometimes jam after heavy use. So, you should use quality wheels to ignore this trouble. Extra-weight things in the drawers can cause the problem.
8. Any mattress is not supportive
Memory foam mattress is well supported to the platform bed. You can use others but may not receive as support as you expect from a mattress on the bed.
9. Mess under the bed may not hide
Many people do not want to show the mess under their bed. But in the case of a platform bed, it is not possible to hide them because there is no option to use an extra skirt here.
10. Difficult to lift the corners of the mattress
It is seen that raising the mattress on a platform bed is very annoying and stressful. So, the mattress having handles at the corners will solve the problem with ease.
You may like this:
|Zinus Omkaram Upholstered Navy Button Detailed Platform Bed / Mattress...||654 Reviews||Check Price on Amazon|
Last update on 2019-04-26 at 13:13 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
In my content, I always try to deliver in-depth and details information to the readers as I understand my visitors’ value. In this article, before writing it, I have researched a lot taking a lot of time literally days to collect that information and then I have written and presented it before you. I think you will find it helpful like other articles of mine.